An immediate issue facing us all during COVID-19 is managing business continuity with the majority of our staff working from home. Companies are now suddenly required to manage/empower “virtual” teams with no processes or systems in place to support it.
What are the 9 key steps to empowering your “remote” staff during the COVID-19 crisis?
- Develop a company-wide process for empowering virtual teams
- Maximise the effectiveness of your teams through measuring and profiling their personality traits for remote working
- Implement a daily accountability process for teams using simple virtual collaboration tools
- Use standard work practices and virtual templates e.g. standard agendas and guidelines
- Manage the problem escalation process through problem solving coaching for team members – Toyota Kata
- Keep focusing on the repeating issues that cause tasks/work to get stuck
- Introduce change management training to align behaviours and attitudes to new business requirements
- Conduct effective communications training and ongoing mentoring of teams, supervisors and staff
- Introduce weekly team reporting on progress and effectiveness